Caring for a loved one living with a mental health condition is no easy task. From managing appointments to participating in counseling sessions, the physical and emotional investment required from you adds up. Sometimes, it can negatively impact your personal well-being and lead to intense fatigue or caregiver burnout.
That’s why regularly practicing self-care is important for your own health and ability to care for your loved one in the long term. You might think of self-care activities as meditating under a tree or writing affirmations in a journal. But having some fun is also self-care. We could all use a boost to our spirits!
Why Are Fun or Playful Self-Care Activities Important?
Activities that put a smile on your face or make you feel amused, reminding us that there are parts of life that are light-hearted, are good for your overall wellness. These activities also may open up creative parts of your mind to see your situation from a different perspective.
Here are some fun, exciting, and playful activities to try for your well-being. Let us know which ones brightened your day the most!
15 Fun Self-Care Activities to Brighten Your Day
1. Get creative
Getting those creative juices flowing can help to work the part of our brain that often gets neglected as we grow older. Working our creative muscles can help with future problem-solving and adapting to situations! Here are some ideas – get creative and think of more!
- Draw or sketch without judgment about what you create
- Write a poem or a story
- Play an instrument or sing your favorite song
- Color in a coloring book (try using crayons to bring out your inner child)
- Create a Pinterest board full of creative inspirations
- Shape something out of clay or dough
2. Be entertained and laugh it out
Ever had a bad day suddenly turn around after a good laugh? Here are some ideas to induce a good chuckle:
- Put on your favorite music and have a dance party in your kitchen
- Watch one of the millions of funny videos online
- Re-watch a comedy movie you loved as a kid
- Talk to a friend about something funny that happened recently
- Fake laugh and see how long it takes to turn into genuine laughter
3. Learn something new
Trying out new hobbies or activities is a great way to feel more accomplished and keep your mind active. Not only that but, you can amuse yourself and have a good laugh as you progress through the beginner to expert stages! Here are some new things to try:
- Take on a new recipe
- Join a free online educational class
- Watch a do-it-yourself or home hacks video and try it out
- Tap into a new hobby of your choice and create space to work on it
It’s Okay to Find Time for Fun
Caregivers are often dealing with heavy life situations, but we all need to laugh and play (even as adults!) as part of maintaining our well-being. Start exploring what brings you joy or makes you smile and dedicate some time to it today!
- Do you know how much stress you are holding? Take our quick Caregiver Stress Test and you will be matched with self-care strategies to support your level of stress.
- Feeling stressed? Learn more ways to create mini moments of self-care in your everyday life in this 60-minute video. Subscribe to our YouTube channel if you want to receive more resources like this!
- Caregivers deserve help, too! Watch our Asking for Help video we created with NextGoodThing.
- Looking for more ideas on self-care? Read our blog on 12 Self-Care Tips for Nurturing Your Body.